Create your Dream Getaway Space with a Rooftop Deck
A rooftop deck is a wonderful place to escape from the pressures of everyday life.
Whether it be for an intimate dinner, or to read a book, or for a party with friends and family, a rooftop deck is a magical space where you can relax and enjoy life.
A Rooftop Deck for When You Can’t Build Outward
The size of your yard may restrict how you can extend your home. Don’t just think out, think up! Even if you have no problem with yard space, a rooftop deck can take advantage of your view or just be a private space away from ground level. On it, you can relax, unwind and enjoy the Californian sunshine as well as the stars and the lights at night.
Rooftop Deck Design Ideas
There are so many ways you can design a rooftop deck and many features to include. You may want to use it to entertain guests or you may see it as more of a private, personal space.
Here are a few ideas:
- A built-in fireplace as a charming focal point or for those chilly evenings.
- A BBQ and dining area for enjoying meals with family and friends.
- A built-in bar complete with refrigerator.
- A hot tub to enjoy all year round.
- A container garden or arbor that is easy to maintain yet gives the feeling of being close to nature.
- A private sunbathing area, maybe with a lounge suite or hammock.
- An outdoor bedroom.
- Windbreaks or sails to either enhance or reduce the breezes.
Construction of Rooftop Decks
There are many materials to choose from for constructing and furnishing your deck. The traditional wooden deck is a popular choice because it always looks beautiful and warm. Others go for a more modern look with painted composite materials and glass railings.
Whatever you decide, remember that all materials and furniture should be weather resistant, even if you have an area with a roof, or overhang, or retractable awning.
Constructing a deck requires careful consideration and must meet all bylaws and safety regulations.
Therefore, it is wise to call in an experienced design and construction company to handle the entire project. First and foremost, the pros will advise you about how and where your house will be able to support a rooftop deck. This will affect what features you can include, like a hot tub with its water weight.
Other construction considerations are:
- ensuring the deck has sufficient slope to allow water runoff
- treating the deck surface to prevent mold, rot or insect infestation
- seeing that posts and railings around the deck meet all needs for height and strength.
You are about to embark on an exciting venture, but make sure you appoint a contractor experienced in designing and constructing rooftop decks. Of course, the best ones will ensure you are an integral part of the project, while at the same time protecting you against the many pitfalls along the way.
Enjoy your rooftop deck and all the fun, joy and relaxation it provides.
“Romney Tripp started construction in 1977 and formed RWT Design & Construction in 1992, eventually setting up the shop in Burbank. From the mid 1980’s Romney has been working on building recording studios as well as…” Read more.
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to RWT Design & Construction.